Monday, February 4, 2013

It's Great to be Back!

Jester HBK reporting:

First of all let's hear it for the Queen Bee Kelli, that entry about secondary fermentation was seriously awesome.

So I figured for the sake of making this blog active again I'd bring it and myself up to date on what's been happening in the HBK since I dropped off nearly half a year ago (jeez).
I'm glad to say that things have most obviously not been idle!  We've (you've all) made a lot of really impressive beers and other beverages a couple of which I've already had the pleasure of enjoying first hand.

Since my departure shortly after HBK-9 Eartha's Own Sweet Corny Ale (sorry, Eartha) we brewed the ClaraBale Amber ale (HBK-10) - pick of Cary.  This was the first brew session that we've started using two separate types of yeast for two separate containers of the same wort (pre-beer).  The purpose of this is to be able to explore first hand how different kinds of yeast affect the flavor and overall properties of the beer. This concept I find mysterious and fascinating - it is inevitable that I will post about it later.  It also seems worthwhile to note that this beer, the ClaraBale Amber Ale was the most popular beer to date of the HBK in terms of how quickly it was distributed out to the group, so it must have been very good, though I never had a chance to try it myself. 

Next we got started on a Cider (HBK-11) picked by "The Welder" (Adam). If my understanding is correct it is still currently in fermentation waiting either to be witched into a secondary or bottled: a decision yet to be made.

In October also, by a stroke of Tim's whim, he began brewing the famous (to me) Imperial Cascadian Dark Ale (ICDA) at U-Brew, a totally awesome spot for homebrew information and supplies.  He ended up making an entire keg (15 gallons).  This ICDA ended up being for Tim's 30th Birthday and you know it was a hit because they finished all but two gallons of it at the party. Also, the ICDA has no HBK number.

Moving on - November's pick belonged to the "Queen B" (Kelli) and she picked a Pumpkin Ale. But of course the CEO Tim has to put his touch on the beer and make it a Imperial Pumpkin Ale! Now two different types of yeast were used (London ESB Ale & Belgian Strong Ale) in two separate carboys for this brew.  I believe there are still plenty of November HBK-12 beers of both yeasts left so pick some up on your next share, yo!

The January beer is one I am personally very excited about.  I had the distinct pleasure of helping formulate the recipe, or at least I think I helped.  It was the pick of Lauren "The Spark" and is HBK-13: Hardcore Vanilla Porter.  Sounds awesome doesn't it?  It will be.  In addition to our usual base malt, we're using two very dark very tasty malts that are have already given this beer a terrific color and surely a great flavor as well.  We also brewed it with oatmeal which I really think is going to add to that thick, smooth flavor we look for in a good porter.  So I'm stoked on that one.  It's still in the primary carboys to be switched soon into the secondaries. 

And so we come at last to the next upcoming brew.  HBK-14 will take place on the 10th of this month and I am looking forward to it!  The pick goes to Jaime and it will be a German Wheat Beer.  Tim's going to buy the ingredients Saturday before the brew (2-9).  Since the Welder has up the game we will use his mill. We'll be using two different kinds of yeast again:  Belgian wheat & Weihnstephan Weizen.

Anyways, most of this information I'm sure the HBKers already knew about.  I guess it has been mainly to announce my return and the reactivation of this blog.  So hello everyone!  I look forward to many more awesome brew sessions with you all.

~The Jester

2 comments:

  1. Another Friggen Glorious undesignated beer that was brewed by members of the HBK was the Cascadian Dark Ale (CDA) brewed for Cheif Kemener's Party. The CDA might be my new favorite type of beer. It has a great flavor and the concept is great too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said all around Jester. Just a couple of things to add. Decembers beer was my Beerthday Beer the ICDA. It wasn't part of the HBK and so #13 was The Sparks pick of the Vanilla Porter. This months pick is Jamie's (#14) of a wheat beer. Very glad to have to back in black.

    ReplyDelete